Want to Volunteer?
Camp Twitch & Shout employs a variety of volunteers to impact the lives of our campers. From counselors to camp staff, we are looking for people who have a passion to work with children and make them feel like shining stars. Energy, enthusiasm, patience, adaptability, and compassion are just a few of the qualities that we look for in our fun and youthful staff.
- Be a fun, energetic, and positive person who is willing to get a bit messy & very silly!
- Be age 19 or older (at least 1 year out of High School before the start of camp preferred)
- Complete and pass a background check
- Complete and pass reference checks
- Complete a video interview within 2 weeks of applying (or before January 14, 2018)
- Be physically and emotionally capable of supervising campers and participating in all activities with campers the entire week of camp
- Be able to commit to being at Camp Twitch & Shout 24/7 starting with training at 8:00AM on the Saturday before the campers arrive, through Friday, the last day of camp, at 12:00PM
- There is a welcome barbecue for all Volunteers the Friday evening before training
- Sleep in the cabins with the campers all week long. Supervision ratio is approximately 2:1 (campers to counselors)
- Arrange and pay for your travel to and from camp. Volunteer food and lodging will be paid for during training and the week of camp. All counselor positions are volunteer.
- Have an interest in working with children with a diagnosis of Tourette Syndrome and the possible associated disorders such as anxiety, depression, ADD/ADHD, OCD, social skills struggles (some campers are on the autism spectrum), sensory integration dysfunction, and learning disabilities.
While adults from all different fields and expertise are accepted, students and professionals with experience or a focus on education, special education, psychology, nursing, medicine, occupational therapy, health related fields, social work, advocacy, behavior management, recreation therapy, music therapy, art therapy, a service industry, or counseling are encouraged to apply.
If you have an interest in joining our team we want to hear from you! Apply online through the “Register Now” button for your chance to experience the “world’s greatest” camp and change the life of child with Tourette, as well as your own.
Job Title: Camp Counselor
Reports to: Cabin Leader
Prerequisites: At least 19 years of age, pass a background check, reference checks, and an interview before consideration for this position. Counselors must also be a least 1 year out of high school. Counselors must complete an online application, reference check, background check, and video interview before being considered for a Volunteer position.
** Attention NEW COUNSELOR applicants: Before beginning the application process please have complete and correct information (Name, Email Address, and Phone Number) for three references. Your application will not be considered complete until we have communicated with all three references listed.
Position Purpose: Camp Twitch and Shout Counselors are the primary caregivers for our Campers. They are responsible for the Campers’ health and safety, communication with their Leadership and Support Teams, as well as inspiring personal growth through the 5 core principles of Camp Twitch and Shout.
5 Core Principles
Resilience: Instilling the process of adapting well in the face of adversity in order to “bounce back” from difficult experiences.
- Seeks to learn more about possible struggles and comorbid conditions for those individuals with Tourette syndrome through participation in training, ongoing communication, observation, and active listening.
- To foster resilience by being aware of the possible individual challenges of each camper in their care, and to continually provide encouragement and feedback to positively impact their ability to handle those challenges.
Independence: Creates an environment that gives our Campers the opportunity to function independently, with the goal to improve their self-esteem through discovering their gifts and strengths. A counselor will encourage them to adopt and reinforce the routines and strategies that will help them develop self-competence through positive, supportive, and empathetic means.
- To continually guide, supervise, and help organize activities related to the campers living in their cabin in order to foster self-competence in meeting their own personal needs and goals at camp.
- Seeks opportunities for Camper’s personal growth and provides positive encouragement and compassionate support for each unique individual’s needs and goals.
Friendship: Assists in the development of friendships with others that are kind, and act as a positive influence in their lives.
- Consistently acts as a positive role model for Campers and Volunteers by actively engaging in the spirit, community, and fellowship of all individuals living in your cabin.
- Understands the importance of peer-to-peer relationships/friendships, and seeks to encourage and develop social skills in order to reach this goal with the support of the Leadership and Support Teams as needed.
Individuality: Assists campers to discover and embrace their unique qualities and gifts that distinguish them from others.
- To embrace and respect the individuality and diversity of each camper in your care.
- To seek opportunities that increase self-esteem and pride of all individuals by continually acknowledging and reinforcing their unique gifts and strengths.
Mindfulness: Mindfulness is achieved by focusing one’s awareness on the present moment, while calmly acknowledging and accepting one’s feeling, thoughts, and bodily sensations.
- To gain knowledge of mindfulness practices through the training process, and seek guidance from the Leadership and Support Teams during Camp.
- To incorporate the tools and strategies learned in training to effectively calm and reassure campers when they are having a difficult time, feeling stressed, or struggling with their symptoms of Tourette Syndrome or associated disorders.
Health and Safety
- To ensure the health and safety of all campers at all times.
- To see that all campers are properly supervised at all times.
- To report to your Unit Leader any behavior or activity of a counselor, staff member, Camp Twin Lakes staff member, or camper that is concerning, inappropriate, unkind, insensitive, or aggressive in nature.
- To recognize and communicate any personal issue or need of yourself to your Unit Leader to ensure your emotional and physical health throughout the week.
- To make sure you are knowledgeable of any medical needs of the Campers in your care, and access the Medical Team as needed for information, resources, and medical care as needed.
- To ensure timely medication administration.
- To ensure proper clothing, sunscreen, bug repellent, fluid hydration, and any environmental needs (heat related, etc…) of yourself and the Campers in your care.
- To take advantage of scheduled breaks and relief when offered to ensure your personal health.
Communication & Policies
- To read and understand all policies & information listed in the Volunteer Manual.
- To seek the guidance and support of the Leadership and Support Teams as needed in order to gain knowledge and growth in the role of counselor.
- To communicate effectively with other volunteers and the Leadership team.
- To always be aware of, and follow the programming schedule for your cabin to ensure timely participation in all the activities provided.
- To honestly and effectively contribute to all verbal and written evaluations required.
- To respond in a timely manner to all communication prior to and during camp.
- To participate fully in training and camp: All volunteers are required to be on site at Camp Twitch and Shout 24/7 from the beginning of training until dismissal on the last day of camp.
- To participate fully and enthusiastically in all the activities with the campers.
- To read and agree to all of the policies and information listed in the Volunteer Manual.
- To make sure that everyone is having a lot of fun!
Job Title: Cabin Leader
Reports to: Unit Leader
Prerequisites: At least 1 year’s experience as a counselor with Camp Twitch & Shout.
Position purpose: To oversee and guide the Counselors in their cabin to ensure the health and safety of everyone, promote the 5 core principles, and provide an engaging and supportive environment for the Campers in their care.
[Cabin Leaders will also incorporate & refer to the Camp Counselor Job description]
Essential Job Functions
- To effectively communicate with everyone in their cabins, and foster a sense of fellowship, spirit, and community within the Cabin and Unit.
- To ensure that your Counselors are complying with all Camp policies and duties detailed in their job descriptions.
- To provide Leadership in an organized, calm, and empathetic manner.
- To participate in Pre-Camp meetings, and prepare for your Cabin’s needs prior to Camp.
- To effectively communicate with the Unit Leader of any identified struggles, or potential issues such as inappropriate behavior, unsafe behavior, or concerns of any individual in your Cabin.
- To promote timely participation in all scheduled activities.
- To take responsibility for the prevention of any heat or environmental illness or injury by ensuring that all the Camper and Counselors have knowledge of proper clothing, sunscreen coverage and bug repellent application, as needed for upcoming activities.
- To ensure that all Counselors have knowledge of what to do for any medical needs, allergies, or possible medical emergencies that might require immediate medical attention in their Cabin (such as seizures or allergies).
- To engage the expertise of the Medical Team, and report to them any additional information and resources you might need to address any medical concerns for the health and safety of those in their care.
- To seek support of the Support Team through your Unit Leader in order to facilitate communication and awareness of any concerns related to those in your Cabin.
Job Title: Unit Leader
Reports to: Unit Director and Assistant Unit Director
Prerequisites: At least 1 year as a Cabin Leader at Camp Twitch & Shout, or past role as a Unit Leader or Support Team member. Resume required.
Position Purpose: To assist in providing an engaging program that meets the needs of the Campers in their Units. The UL’s responsibility is to actively participate in the development and implementation of volunteer training, under the direction of the Unit Director and Assistant Unit Director. The UL must also enthusiastically seek to inspire their Unit’s spirit through pre-camp preparations, as well as provide oversight and support for the Cabin Leaders (CL) and Counselors in their Unit in the mission of Camp Twitch and Shout.
[Unit Leaders will also incorporate & refer to the Cabin Leaders and Camp Counselors job descriptions]
Essential Job Function
To effectively communicate and reinforce the Camp’s policies and expectations of the Cabin Leaders and Counselors in their Units. To provide all volunteers in their Units the guidance, support, access to the training, and resources that will ensure their success in performing the tasks and goals listed in their job descriptions.
- Team Approach: The Unit Leader will have knowledge of the resources available to them, and seeks to utilize those resources when necessary with the guidance of the Unit Director & Assistant Director. These resources may include the Support and Medical Teams. Utilizing a team approach will help ensure the physical health, emotional health, safety, and personal growth of the Campers and Counselors in their Unit.
- To develop and encourage suggestions for Cabin & Unit Spirit pre-camp.
- To participate in all Unit & Cabin activities.
- Promote daily communication with your Cabin Leaders.
- Participate in pre-camp, and at-camp meetings with your Cabin Leaders & Counselors.
- To provide guidance and support regarding the environmental needs of the Campers to ensure the health and safety of the Counselors and the Campers.
- To actively participate in, and contribute to the Training process as requested from the Unit Director, and Assistant Unit Director.
- To provide access to, and incorporate a toolbox of strategies and ideas for the Counselors to utilize when facing changes in the schedule or challenges.
- To encourage and foster personal growth for all Counselors in their Units.
- To immediately report any incident or concern to the Unit Director.
- To oversee the emotional and physical health & safety of all counselors through the facilitation of breaks and activities promoting rest & fellowship throughout the week.
Job Title: Support Professionals
Reports to: Camp Director
Essential Job Function
We engage several professionals to assist us in providing a safe and quality camp experience. Camp Twitch and Shout has a need for Registered Nurses, Nurse Practitioners, Physicians, Paramedics, Behaviorists, Psychologists, Social Workers, and other healthcare professionals.
Our Medical professionals are required to have a license to practice in the state of Georgia. This can also be a Multi-state license that is now allowed by law with other participating Compact States in the U.S.
Only NEW candidates are required to complete a one-way interview through SparkHire. You will then receive a personal interview with Tricia Kardon, Camp Director, to discuss the needs for Camp Twitch & Shout 2018